CEO Alternative Investor Panel – Crowdfunding, Real Estate, and Wine
On September 17, 2020, we co-hosted an alternative investor networking and panel session along with our partners at YieldTalk and FundWisdom.
We featured three CEOs in a one-hour panel session that talked all about alternative investment opportunities outside of the public markets:
- Chuck Pettid – CEO of Republic Crowdfunding Portal (startup investing)
- Anthony Zhang – Co-Founder & CEO, VinoVest (wine investing)
- Charles Clinton – Co-Founder & CEO, EquityMultiple (real estate investing)
Alternative Investment Opportunities Outside of Public Market Stocks
With the economic uncertainty of COVID-19 still looming, despite public market stocks recently touching all-time highs, we wanted to explore alternative investing opportunities that were outside of traditional stocks and bonds.
We selected three CEOs from alternative investing platforms and asked questions such as:
- Can you briefly describe the main investments that your platform offers?
- How do you select the offerings on your platform?
- What are the typical investment minimum amounts on your platform?
- For VinoVest, since you are not selling securities but instead selling direct ownership of the wine, how does that work?
- Where does a novice investor begin to look to grow investments outside of traditional stocks and bonds?
- Chuck (Republic) – with all the recent acquisitions such as Fig (video games), Compound (real estate), etc. what’s next?
- Can you describe the structure of the investments on your platform? What are investors actually getting when they invest?
- Does your platform have any fiduciary responsibility to your customers?
- What role do you see alternative investment platforms playing addressing some of the funding disparities that have been present in the traditional venture capital ecosystem (e.g. under-represented and underserved founders and entrepreneurs)?
- Has the introduction of platforms like EquityMultiple changed the types of sponsors and developers able to secure financing for real estate projects?
- What changes do you see in the alternative investing landscape in 5-10 years from now? What do you think is the future of alternative investment opportunities?
- Anthony (VinoVest) – what’s the incremental booth that VinoVest provides for the fine wine industry?
- Liquidity – where are things now and where are things going with liquidity options for buying or selling on secondary markets?
- How has the COVID-19 pandemic impacted your platform, the industry, the sector?
- Do you invest your own firm’s capital into the investments that you offer?
Check out the video above for answers and discussion of these questions and more.